It is time once again for Dewey’s 24 Hour Read-A-Thon (twitter). This event takes place twice a year and I really enjoy the October one especially. I just love to settle in with a hot cup of tea and a good book during cool Fall days.
For this event, I read as much as I can during the day and as late into the night as I can. I will be updating this post and tweeting on and off as well.
Good luck to those who are participating, thank you to the hosts and event coordinators and have fun everyone 🙂
2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to? I’m starting off with Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion, on my daughter’s recommendation. I might dive into a short story by King after that.
3) Which snack are you most looking forward to? I’m baking s’mores later 🙂
4) Tell us a little something about yourself! I’m a mom, a wife, reading and crocheting are my favorite pastimes. I have a furbaby chihuahua who will be keeping me company today while I read.
5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to? I have participated in this read-a-thon for years and I know to it’s best to pick books that are fun and fast paced. Also, short stories work well for this event.
Hour 2: Readathon Mini Challenge: Cover Escape!
Dig through your shelves and share with us a book cover you’d like to escape into! Doesn’t matter if the subject, plot, or genre isn’t typically your thing; in this case, we’re totally judging the book by its cover!
I always thought Tolkien’s fictional Middle Earth was amazing, Rivendell in particular.
10:03am: On page 98 of Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion. So far, this one is great. Author Marion has had me smiling and laughing with his refreshing take on zombies.
Quote I like:
Living speech has always been a sonic pheromone to me, and I spasm briefly when it hits my ears. I’ve yet to meet another zombie who shares my appreciation for those silky rhythms. M thinks it’s a sick fetish.
p.15, Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion
Hour 11: 6:17pm The day has gone by pretty quickly. I finished Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion 239 pages. It was a good one.
I took breaks in between and ended up watching a scary movie and got some crochet in as well. Now that dinner is on the table, I’m settling in with my next read…
1. What are you reading right now? The Duchess War (The Brothers Sinister 1) by Courtney Milan
2. How many books have you read so far? 1
3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon? I’m hoping The Duchess War will be a juicy historical romance.
4. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those? I took breaks here and there. I cooked dinner, walked the dog a few times and watched a dvd. And just when I was settling in with my second book at around 6:30pm, my parents stopped by. It is now 7:55pm and I am back to reading.
5. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far? I was on the fence about what second book to read. I ended up picking an e-book in my Nook that wasn’t even on my read-a-thon list.
Wrap up and closing survey:
Which hour was most daunting for you? Around 1:00am was when I started to fall asleep while reading The Duchess War.
Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year? Anything fast paced and entertaining. I enjoyed Warm Bodies alot and my second book was historical romance which was a good pick as well.
Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year? no
What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon? I always enjoy the mini-challenges and it’s nice to see the Instagram and Twitter posts as well. I participated in the read-a-thon back when Dewey was running it and if I remember correctly Instagram did not exist. I wasn’t Tweeting back then either.
How many books did you read? One full one and 45 pages of a second.
Thanks all for stopping by my blog, and thanks for the event coordinators, it was a fun Read-a-Thon!
Happy weekend 🙂
disclaimer: These photos are my own and not to be removed from this post.